top of page

Cost of Living Crisis Help

Are you or your employees struggling with the cost of living? The Floristry Trade Club has lots of resources which might help:


The Government recently reported that 65% of people feel that their financial situation will get worse in the next 12 months. Most believe that everyday costs will increase in the next year, especially for utilities, food and petrol.

Thankfully, help is on hand for those on low incomes or receiving income-related benefits, with the government’s new 'Help for Households’ scheme. There are a number of different schemes available, including new, one-off payments intended to take some of the pressure off struggling households.

To see what help you may be entitled to, you can start by going to the government’s benefit checker. Or you can go straight to the Help for Households website which explains:

  • What the different payments are.

  • When payments will be made.

  • Who is eligible for payments.

To summarise, the government is providing £37billion to help households combat the rising cost of living. More than eight million people on means-tested benefits will receive a payment of £650 this year, in two instalments. This includes all eligible households who currently receive any of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Pension Credit

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Child Tax Credit.

The first payment of £326 was made to households in July, with a further £324 to be paid in the autumn, totalling £650.For eligible households on tax credits only, the first payment was made in September and the second will be made in the winter. Payments will be made automatically via the usual payment method so you don’t need to contact HMRC or DWP or apply for the payment.

In addition to these payments, there is also the Energy Bills Support Scheme for businesses which will see all domestic energy customers receive a one-off rebate (credit) of £400 paid by their energy providers. This money will not need to be paid back. This scheme will be replaced by the Energy Bill Discount Scheme from 1st April 2023.

Council Tax-payers in Bands A-D in England have also received a £150 Council Tax Rebate to help with the rising cost of bills. If you don’t pay your council tax by direct debit, your local council will contact you with details of how to claim.

Depending on where you live in the UK, there are also schemes that could help with your household bills, such as:

  • low-cost home internet and phone packages available from providers

  • hardship schemes from water companies

  • the UK Government funded Household Support Fund available from local councils to help with essential costs.

  • £2,000 a year of tax free childcare available to eligible families

  • Council Tax support available from local councils

  • help with rent and mortgage interest payments

  • housing benefits available from the UK government

  • personalised job support available through Job Help

  • tax relief and work-related expenses which can be claimed from HMRC

Head to Help for Households to find out more and also take a look at the government-funded website Money Helper which offers impartial guidance and a range of tools to help make your money and pension choices clearer.


Desktop Homepage Banner - Summer Moodboard Launch.png


bottom of page